Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sick Dreams

-- An excerpt from my time before I traveled to the hospital --

I hate being sick.

I have spent several hours today just rolling around on my bed in agony as my skin felt as though it was on fire.

It has not been a fun day.

I also tend to have really loopy dreams while I’m sick. I’m blaming the fever.

The whole thing started on top of a skyscraper.

The night air was full of stars and the view from where I lay was amazing.

I love it when my dreams are beautiful.
I was watching myself from a movie perspective or 3rd person view if you want to think video games.
I slowly got up in a dramatic sweeping motion of my legs only to find a dark hooded figure standing across the building from me. Though I must have sensed her beforehand as I still looked cool and collected.

I could just make out a smile under the hood of my visitor when she dashed towards me. She moved with super human speed and drew from her cloak a sickly looking curved blade, poised for my throat.

Clearly she was evil.
I drew out my sword in turn, which I am fairly certain was not around a moment before, and readied myself for the impending strike.

Clash.
Our blades met in a rain of sparks as fire jumped from the striking metal. The blades danced around us as we struck at one another blow after blow, parry after parry, we were quite good.

Then with a sweeping motion and powerful expulsion technique my sword was forcibly sent flying across and over the buildings edge; falling to the clouds below.

 In shock I had left myself open and received a solid front kick, Spartan style, throwing me to the ground. I was not even able to get up onto my elbows before my opponents cloak was around me, blade poised inches from my certain death.

 Then I saw a face, a sad face, twisted with the joys of victory over me. I knew her, or I knew I was looking for her. This girl was important for some reason; all the tension of the fight left my body as I looked up into her eyes.

Then she kissed me.

My dreams are weird. 
With that she withdrew her sword and ran to the ledge of the building and jumped off. But I knew she would be fine, just one of those dream understandings.

In my dreams it is common for my location to switch randomly, like a new scene in a movie.
I found myself in a solid white room with walls as far off as the eye could see, but still giving off a feeling of being inside. The floor was also sand, like the beach, even though there was no water. Everything was very illuminated, as though the white walls glowed with an uncanny light.

I immediately sat down to make a sand castle in the sand, which was the perfect consistency for the task. A montage of my exploits flashing before my eyes as I build an entire kingdom out of sand.



And when I was done I sat atop my sand throne, with a sand crown.

Dozens of people milled about the castle below me; going about a daily life in this giant sand castle. Times were good, food was cheap and peace was achieved.

But not for long.

The lights of the white walls dimmed around us, casting shadows the likes of which had never been seen in this sand world.

Then, without warning, a giant sand squid, which is just like a normal giant squid only it lives in the sand, emerged from the depths of the world and besieged the castle. 


The sand was not strong enough to stand up against the terrible might of the giant squid and the main gate fell to its tentacle based destruction.
This revealed its army of smaller, but still quite large, squids. They flooded into the castle like a wave from the ocean and crashed into my awaiting soldiers.

Though our arrows were accurate, our swords sharp, and our skills sharper still, we stood no chance. They outnumbered us one hundred to one.

Countless squids fell before us only to have more arrive and take the place of the fallen. Slowly the squids pushed forward eating my forces and growing fat off of their victories.


I could watch no more from the limited safety of my tower; I had to join my soldiers. But I would need help; I would need a grand weapon.

I ascended the stairs of my tower to the top most room, well locked, and protected from unwanted eyes.


Inside lay my battle gear, the treasures of my kingdom.
My belts.

I quickly put them on and felt the powers grow within me.

But would it be enough?

I teleported to the battle below in a bolt of lightning, cutting a hole in the enemies advancing line.

I could not be defeated. Lightning spurt from my fingertips to strike down my squid like foes.
I would turn the tide of this battle.

Then I saw her.

There she was, the girl, running across the battered remains of the upper rampart charging the main squid. Smaller squids falling around her as she carved a bath to the squid. I wanted to help her but the ground forces around me were in my way and had to be dealt with first.

I should have just gone after the giant squid.

Somehow I heard the clang of metal amidst the roar of the battle around me and my attention was drawn center stage to the girl and the giant squid once again. He had managed to disarm her and trap her in the coils of one of his giant arms.

He heaved her up over his beak of a jaw. I threw everything that I had into making a path to her, but it was too late.

I watched in horror as she fell in.

Then I woke up. Just like that back to my bed, my sheets thrown all over the place; a fever of 103.2 crawling through my body.

I wonder who that girl is supposed to be.

I hope I meet her some day.

No comments: